- Company name: Student at University of the Free State: Kobus Spangenberg
- Project name: Project 2 - Urban Living Units
- Project size: 2 205m²
- Project date: February 2015 - March 2015
- Project location: Aliwal street, Bloemfontein - Free State
- Project type: Concrete structure: multi-story living units
- ArchiCAD Project type: Solo & Hotlink Modules
- ArchiCAD version started: 18
- ArchiCAD version ended: 19
This project challenges the students to design according to the human ecological environment and to provide living conditions that support and uplift the environment. Typologies are challenged to incorporate a more inclusive living environment.
Students are challenged to maximize the use of space and to design for site / area specific ecological environment.
Faced with a world where work, leisure and commerce can be carried out vis-á-vis computers (which occupies a space that does not require spatial classification), function should not be a fundamental parameter in defining a portion of the city’s land. If we accept that the number of levels of a terrain (that is, how many times a portion of land can be multiplied over itself) is a parameter to be defined, the re-information of buildings ought to influence the capacity to organise their functioning in the section rather than in plan. With the basement given over to storage functions (cars, objects), the ground floor and its surroundings of commerce and public attention, and the higher floors to mixed uses (dwelling, processing of information), the roof would become the new space to be discovered, a place for public or semi-public leisure and recreational activities.
How many people worked on the project?
One, just me
Architectural work phases:
- Design and develop concept by hand
- Convert this into CAD drawings with ArchiCAD 19
- Model a final 3D representation of the project with allocated materials in such a way that sections correspond with plans to explain and prove that the structure works.
- Create the final presentation using hand drawings, physical models and renders with ArchiCAD's CineRender to sell the project to my lecturers.
What other software was involved in developing this project in your office?
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Why was the decision made to switch or further develop the project to ArchiCAD?
To firstly indicate with a 3D model of the project as well as sections/plans that the structure works. Secondly to simplify and speed the documentation process.
What consultants were involved in the project and what software platform did they use?
What teams were involved in the project?
What ArchiCAD tools were used to design your project?
Morph to conceptualize, Curtain Walls, Mesh for site and a Sun study.
What would you change or do better next time?
Spend more time on documentation.
Project notes or comments:
We have a tight schedule at the University of the Free State. Our department teaches us to perform under immense pressure of almost impossible deadlines. Hence our design projects are rushed to allow time for other subjects like Building Contracts, History, Theory, Construction and Construction Science, all with their individual projects running simultaneously. My personal note on all my projects would be a plea for more time to perfect small details.