Hotlinks provide a superb way to manage repetitive structures in ArchiCAD. For instance, if you have a series of similar structures on the same project, you do not have to edit each structure to add, remove, mirror, etc. a detail. All you need do is to go into the Source file and edit one unit and the rest of the units will be updated in the Host file.
A typical example, open ArchiCAD and draw a simple enclosed space and save this file as a Module File. To save a Module File first activate a floor plan view and go to File > Save As. On the Save Document dialog give your file a name, select a location for the saved file and on the down arrow, select Module File and click Save. This is your Source File
- Open a new instance of ArchiCAD, then go to File > External Content > Place Hotlinked Module...
- On the upcoming Place Module dialog box click Choose Hotlink… button,
- On the next Choose Hotlink dialog box, click the down-arrow and browse for a newly saved .mod file
- Highlight the file and click Select.
NB: Make sure Module file is selected on the Enable down arrow
- You will then be prompted to choose which story you want to import into the file
- Select All Stories (Multi-story) radio button and click Ok
- Click Ok on the Choose Hotlink dialog box
- and Click "Place Module" on the Place Module dialog box
- On the Match Stories dialog box make sure to match Ground floor of the source file to the Ground floor of the new file and click "OK"
- When the Module file is placed, its elements will be surrounded by a dashed rectangle. You may Click within the rectangle to move the elements to the desired position. Then Click outside to place the elements. This is your Host File
- In your Host File select the Placed Module and create four (4) more copies
Now lets go back to our Source File and make some changes and save them, these changes will be reflected on all units in the Host File.
- Now lets go back to the Host file, changes have not been reflected yet. To update these changes activate the floor plan view and go to File > External Content > Hotlink Manager...,
- In the Hotlink Manager dialog under Hotlink sources field you will see that a warning with a yellow triangle is shown "Modified" select the hotlink and click the Update button and click Ok. All changes will be reflected on all units, both in 2D and 3D views.